Monday, March 17, 2008

Kwame's Speech

The two rhetorical stratagies I found in Kwame's speech, were tone and ethos. In his speech, Kwame's tone was one of the first rhetorical stratagies I noticed, since his attitude was so blatantly obvious. He had a very angry and "ticked off" sort of tone throughout the reading. Kwame used this tone to show how the actions of others towards him, has effected his family, and then he later added how these actions can harm the children of Detroit. "I've heard these words before but I've never heard people say them about my wife and children.
I have to say this because it's very personal to me. I don't believe that a Nielsen rating is worth the life of my children or your children.". The other rhetorical strategy, which also stuck out in the speech, was ethos. This stratagy is about integrity and morals. Since I couldn't remember what integrity really was, I looked it up, and I found one defintion which stuck out the most to me, which was "... soundness of moral character.". Kwame obviously used ethos to get across to the people of Detroit the truth of how great and hardworking he really is as mayor. He also used this strategy to get people back on his side, to keep his position. A man like this, who has not only been a part of texting scandals, but also has wasted around $9 million to save himself from being kicked out of place as the mayor of Detroit, is not a stable enough person to be a mayor. Since Kwame has lost his stablity as a husband, a father, and a mayor, what will be the next to go off his plate of life?

No comments: